August 1, 2011

Oh my god querying SUCKS.

So.

I've written this super fly novel. It's a young adult fantasy. It has great, fun characters with snappy dialogue and basically all kinds of awesomeness, a fun little side romance, and mystery......ah....I love it.

AND NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO FREAKING READ IT!!!!!!

<sigh>

Ok seriously. I've read a million stories about authors who queried 800 agents before finally finding THE ONE. So I need to chill. But then....THEN I read stories like this one, where she found her agent in like....a day. (Or two. Whatev.)  But also, that's Rachel Hawkins, and if you haven't read Hex Hall and Demonglass, you should. She's fabulous. I love her and I don't even know her. But on her blog and on twitter--hilarious. Also fabulous? Kiersten White, who wrote Paranormalcy and Supernaturally.

But let's not get distracted from my whining.

I hate querying. I knew that I would. I sat on my book for several weeks before I even started trying to draft a query letter, because I knew I would hate it. It's nerve-wracking! If everyone hates your query, no one will ever want to see sample pages! So even if I have written the world's most wonderfully entertaining book...it means absolutely nothing unless I can write a killer query.

Of course, I guess the whole point is that if I can write such an awesome book, I should be able to draft a pretty sweet query.

Ok fine. Whatever. I'm going to go work on my query some more now. Geez.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure your querying will go well! Anyway, I wanted to come over and say thanks for commenting on my first 500 pages on Rachel McClellan's contest, I really appreciate the feedback!

    ReplyDelete