February 13, 2012

How do you write?

Writerly people- when you sit down to write a story, do you start at the beginning? Or the end? Do you have it all figured out when you start, or do you just start writing and see what happens?

When I wrote In the Between (the novel I'm querying right now), the very first scene I wrote doesn't take place til page 26. For whatever reason, when I was thinking about the story, that's just the first scene that I could see clearly. At that time, I wasn't even sure where the story would go. I just wrote what I knew.

That's pretty much how I wrote the whole book. I knew some of the big things that I wanted to happen, so I would write those scenes, and then I'd go back in a fill in the gaps to get from scene A to scene B.

It. Took. Forever. And lots of rewriting. Lots and lots of editing.

I think if I could write a story from beginning to end, it'd be much simpler. But the problem for me is that I can never decide how exactly to start a story. Even with the Cooper book I'm currently working on- I skipped ahead to a part that I knew would happen early in the story, but it's not the beginning. Right now, I just have no idea how it begins!

I'm also not much of a plotter. I know the general direction of the story- I know the main conflict- I pretty much know the solution. But that's about it. I LOVE sitting down and writing and just seeing what happens. I know I sound like a crazy person when is say this- but when I was writing In the Between, there were times that I'd be caught up in the story, writing and writing, and all of a sudden something would happen that would even surprise ME! Me! The person who's creating the whole thing! I know. It's weird. But it's so fun. I love it when my characters do something that I don't see coming. It's like the idea flies into my head just as I type it and then I'm like, "Oh! Wow!" There were a few pretty major reveals in In the Between that happened like that. They turned into excellent story points that took my characters in completely new directions that I hadn't planned on.

LOVE that.

I remember reading somewhere on Stephanie Perkins's blog that she doesn't like to outline a story from beginning to end because then it's like she's already written everything/figured everything out, so it's not fun to write anymore. I totally get that. When I try to plot out a story, I feel confined by it. I have much more fun just flying by the seat of my pants.

So what do the rest of you do? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. First time to your blog...
    I am just getting into "writing" blogs after finishing my first novel. I really didn't really plan on writing one. I had an idea for a beginning and an end and just started filling in the middle. There were days where I myself didn't even know what was going to happen next but as I wrote it came to me. Maybe I should say... those days it wrote itself. Is it any good? I don't know. In 2 months I have sold 5 ebook copies. The only person who read it front to back that I know is my ex who is in love with the Fantasy genre and she gave good feedback. I gues I fly by the seat of my pants as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the most fun part of writing- when it surprises me. Unfortunately, it's not like that for me every single day....sometimes I feel like I'm slowly trudging through, BEGGING for words. But the great days make the hard ones worth it!! Good luck with your novel!

      Delete