February 21, 2012

I Blame My Parents...

See, I have these GREAT parents. Wonderful. They somehow balanced pushing me to do my best without putting too much pressure on me, and it worked. Growing up, I was just...good at stuff. Academically, I mean. Athletically, I was a bit of a disaster--but we'll save that for another post.

They never really had to put pressure on me, because I put plenty of pressure on myself. I wanted to be good. I was okay with not being the best....I mean, there were a few people who were just better at me than just about everything, and I could deal with that. I just wanted to be up there in the same circle as them, you know? And for the most part, I was.

When I wanted something, I got it.
If I set a goal, I achieved it.
The only reason I couldn't do something would be lack of trying. If I put my mind to it, it would HAPPEN.

So my whole life, I wanted to be a writer. I took boring jobs that would help me write. I even published a few nonfiction articles in a journal you've probably never heard of. I wrote one book, which was crap. So I wrote another, which wasn't. Found an editor to take a look at it. Edited. Completely re-wrote. Sent out to beta readers. Made more edits. And finally (FINALLY) felt like it was ready to query.

I've been seriously querying for about 3 months. I don't query in large groups...I haven't really sent out many queries at all...but still.

It's just so dang HARD to be told "No" so many times. If I didn't truly believe in my book, maybe the disappointment wouldn't be so crushing.And I blame my parents- they should've told me "No" more often. I should be more used to this.

See? I'm just, in general, too lucky. And I think it's coming back to bite me in the rear. ;-)

But thanks to my fabulous parents- I'm almost ridiculously optimistic. There's no reason to be, really. Do you have any idea how many books are being queried at any given time? Well, I don't either, but I do know that one of the agents who currently has my full received nearly 2,500 queries from July to December of last year. And that's just one agent. Some agents report receiving anywhere from 50-100 queries PER DAY, sometimes more.

So the odds, to say the least, are stacked against me. But I'm still trying, because of my silly optimism, and my unwillingness to believe that it won't happen. Maybe it won't happen for this book (which would be a tragedy, because you guys NEED to know these characters), but it will happen.

It has to.

10 comments:

  1. I think in order to actually buckle up and query, you have to be optimistic. Because if you weren't, why would you even try? Good luck to you! I'm stopping by from the campaign. Can't wait to get to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. If a person got too caught up in the statistics, no one would ever query! And that, ladies and gentleman, is the first and last time you will read the word "statistics" on my blog. Math gives me hives.

      Delete
  2. Hang in there, you'll make it. The best advice (and the advice I keep hearing from agents and editors) is KEEP WRITING. While your querying and trying to sell the one manuscript, be hard at work on something else.

    When your manuscript finally reaches the hands of the right person, they'll want to know what else you've got!

    I'm stopping by from the campaign to say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I'm still writing. I working on two different novels simultaneously right now...just sorta writing on one when I get stuck on the other. After I wrote my first novel, I was afraid that I wouldn't have any other ideas. Thankfully, I do! It at least gives me something to do to kill the time while querying!

      Delete
  3. You have to be ridiculously optimistic in this business. The odds are stacked against you. But then again, we see success stories play out every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep telling myself! Being optimistic is way more fun anyway.

      Delete
  4. Hi Megan, it's Cindy from the campaign. I'm an optimist, too! Hey, my sequel comes out at the end of March. I'd love it if you joined me in a fun blog hop. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Optimists RULE. Congrats on the sequel! I'll swing by your blog to check out the details. I'd love to do a blog hop with you too!

      Delete
  5. "But I'm still trying, because of my silly optimism, and my unwillingness to believe that it won't happen." I think, ultimately, this is what keeps us alive in the writing field. :) If we're not optimistic and give up hope, what's the use in trying? GOOD LUCK! YOu've got a great outlook; you'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! Some days are better than others, for sure.

      Delete