February 9, 2012

Writing again...

I've been pretty busy over the past few months getting my current manuscript in the best shape possible and preparing the query letter. It takes a lot of time to query, and to keep track of which agents have partials and fulls and which ones I haven't queried yet.

I started working on a YA contemporary during Nanowrimo last year, and it was a fun break from my current work. But it also taught me something- I LOVE reading YA contemporary....but if I'm writing, I want it to be fantasy.

My voice is distinctly YA. I'm not sure I could write for the adult audience. (I mean, I'm barely able to hold an adult conversation anyway. It takes concentration to keep myself from adding "Word." or "Dude." or any other phrase that makes me sound like I need to grow up.) I just can't help myself. I'm still waiting for the day to come when I will act more like a grown-up.

ANYWAY- So I'm going to write YA because I can't imagine writing anything else. But YA fantasy/paranormal/dystopian is one of the hardest genres to break into right now (Thank you, Twilight, Harry Potter, and another hardly popular, you may have never even heard of it trilogy, the Hunger Games). The market is so saturated, there are hardly any NEW ideas (uh, other than my Super Fantastic New Idea). So agents are super, super picky when it comes to YA fantasy. They're not going to take on a manuscript that they can't sell.

So that kinda blows, and I thought I'd try my hand at YA contemporary to see if I could at least get into the market that way.....but it's just so hard for me to keep it straight with no fantasy. I keep wanting people to sprout wings or something. Or read minds. Or control the elements. Or throw fire.

Normal people are so boring.

Having said that- there are some outrageously talented YA contemporary authors out there who have no trouble at all with these stories and come up with some really amazing stuff. (Have I mentioned Anna and the French Kiss? Yes? Oh.)

Here are some other YA contemporaries I've read lately- check them out.

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (who, also, if you're on Twitter, you should follow. Hilarious.)
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

You know I'll be doing "Books to Love" posts on all three of those right? K.

Remember how the title of this post was "Writing Again?" After my pretty unsuccessful try at a YA contemporary, I've decided that I'm just going to write YA fantasy and DEAL with the fact that writing in this genre means I really may never get published- I started working on a new story tonight. I took a lot of the things that I loved from that YA contemporary I never finished, and I'm turning it into a story with fantasy elements that I am SERIOUSLY EXCITED about.

I can't wait to tell you more about it. All I can say for sure right now is that there's a guy named Cooper in it. So for now, this is the Cooper book.

No comments:

Post a Comment