June 25, 2012

Lucky 7 Meme- BETWEEN and ROOM FOR TWO!


One of my favorites, Ari Susu-Mago, tagged me in a post on her blog, which means it's time for another round of the LUCKY 7 MEME! WOO!

In case you haven't heard of it yet, here are the rules:

The Lucky 7 Meme Award Rules:
1. Go to the 7th or 77th page of your work in progress.
2. Go to the 7th line of the page.
3. Copy the next 7 sentences or paragraphs. Remember, they must be as they are typed.
4. Tag 7 authors.
5. Let them know they’re it!

So- last time I did this, I used lines from BETWEEN. Since that time, BETWEEN has gone through MAJOR MAJOR revisions, so at this time- here's what's on page 77. (You can read more about BETWEEN by clicking on the tab above.)

My eyes roam upward to the window that used to be my room. "Wiped?"
"It's gone," Adele says. "Like we never lived here."
"What about the doppelgangers?" I ask.
"I guess that's what we're going to find out," Seth says. "Shall we?"
We stand, eyes locked on the old farmhouse, and silently walk toward it.
We stop just outside where the front door should be. Up close, it’s even less inviting. I step over a circle of flowers scattered with bricks, and realize the chimney has collapsed. The vines I noticed from the field are growing into all of the windows, winding around corners and snaking through the openings. Seth pulls me behind him as he steps inside. Adele enters last.
Broken glass and shreds of paper litter the floor. I nudge a pile of scraps with my toe and recognize the blue pattern that used to blanket the lower half of the walls. Random lines of sunlight wrestle with the vines to make their way across the room, illuminating thick layers of dust on the few pieces of broken furniture that remain. Adele moves further into the house, pausing at corners and slowly peering around doorways. Seth stays with me, allowing me to lead him through what used to be my home.

AND- I'm also gonna post 7 paragraphs from ROOM FOR TWO, because I'm crazy like that.

Here's a little blurb:

As the son of innkeepers, sixteen-year-old Cooper has grown up in Bed and Breakfasts scattered across the Southeast. He's developed an impressive set of culinary and conversational skills, as well as a deep appreciation for alone time. When his parents move to Nashville, he does what he always does in new cities--begins the quest to find "His Spot." He loves meeting new people and all, but he  needs a place to sneak off to, where he can recharge and relax without worrying someone will expect him to be an expert on local history, tourist attractions, or the next day's menu. There's nothing that Cooper desires more than the perfect hiding spot. That is, until he meets Meredith.

*disclaimer: I write completely out of order. I was working on this before I got smart and downloaded Scrivener, so while this does appear on p.77, I'm sure it's not staying there. :)

Meet Cooper and Meredith!

She stops raking and raises her head. Her tanned legs look longer than usual in her cut-off jean shorts, and her gray tank top is covered in leaf bits. When she sees me, she smiles that easy, perfect smile of hers and my mind goes blank for a second. “Coop! That would be fantastic!”
“No problem,” I tell her, and slowly begin working alongside her, raking leaves into a large pile next to the steps leading into her house. We don’t talk much, but every now and then I catch her looking at me. When I do, she grins and I wink at her, and we go back to work. A half hour or so later, most of the grass in her yard is visible again. My neck and shoulders are killing me. I drop my rake and lay down right there on the lawn.
She walks over to the porch and leans her rake against the rail. She gathers her long hair in a ponytail with her hands and lifts it up off the back of her neck, and stands there for a minute before letting her hands and hair hang loose again. Without turning her head she asks, “Would you like something to drink?” 
She knows I’m watching her. “Yeah. Water would be great.”
I clasp my hands behind my head and close my eyes. A slight breeze rustles through and I open one eye to give a silent warning to the pile of leaves. I hear the sound of ice tinkling in glass and lift my head as Meredith comes down her front steps carrying a large glass of water. I sit up, bending my knees and resting my arms across them, and she hands me the glass before joining me on the ground. She stretches her legs out and rests her hands behind her, closing her eyes as she tips her head toward the sun.
I force myself to look away from her and take a big gulp of water.
It is so freaking hot out here. 

So, there you go!

As for tagging- If you want to do this, and I'd love it if you do, consider yourself tagged. And be sure to leave me a comment with a link so I can read!!!

16 comments:

  1. Love them both. But Room for Two has something special about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love RFT because it's from the guy's POV. It's just more interesting to write. I keep having to run it by my guy friends though, to make sure he's not being too girly. :) Sometimes I can't tell.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Ahh, I REALLY like the excerpt from BETWEEN. All creepy and oooh. *shivers* And the last line of ROOM FOR TWO made me laugh out loud! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ari!! Yes, I thought that was a hilarious place to end on RFT. :)

      Delete
  3. I am very intrigued by Between, and Room for Two is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Room for Two sounds ADORABLE!!! Thanks for sharing, Megan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel!! I love Room for Two. I haven't worked on it in about a month- I'm hoping to get back to it soon!

      Delete
  5. Man, I love Cooper already. I heart your writing. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooooper. *sigh* I mean, I love Seth. But Cooper's like, FUN. And I could basically die over you saying you heart my writing, just so you know. Yours is beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Megan I'm here to add that I posted =D
    Feel free to check it out!! http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com/2012/06/lucky-7-meme.html

    (I also posted a hilarious entry about how querying is like being Buffy the vampire slayer)

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanmolin/5116332197/in/set-72157616284245416 Just so you know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanmolin/5116332197/in/set-72157616284245416 Just so you know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've removed the photo- I sincerely apologize. I'd gone through my blog and removed all photographs that I didn't know the origin of. I forgot that there was a photo in this blog post at all. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
    2. No worries! I'm really not a jerk about it at all. I just prefer to know about it ahead of time. ;-) It's a very flattering/worrysome feeling to randomly find your work used in projects.

      Delete
    3. No worries! I'm really not a jerk about it at all. I just prefer to know about it ahead of time. ;-) It's a very flattering/worrysome feeling to randomly find your work used in projects.

      Delete