July 24, 2012

Love Letters

I got all nostalgic today and started going through this huge box of things I've kept for years- mostly high school memories- graduation announcements, photographs, yearbooks, prom dance books, etc. But BEST OF ALL- the letters.

Oh my gosh. The letters.  They are AMAZING. Letters from my friends about absolutely nothing (literally: "Hey, I did you see my new shoes?") or from the girlfriend of my ex-boyfriend ("Why did you break up with him?") and best of all, from boyfriends ("I love you.") Because, come on, high school "I love you"'s are so BIG and ENCOMPASSING and NOTHING WILL EVER MATTER MORE THAN THIS BOY SAYING HE LOVES ME.

Until you grow up and realize there are so many things that will matter more.

I found the diary I kept in 7th-8th grade. Here's the very first entry-

5/28/93
End of the year dance! I danced with Aaron, Justin, Chris, Danny, and Jeremy. Aaron sang  "I Will Always Love You" to me while we danced and he CANNOT SING! He's crazy. I can't believe tomorrow is the very last day. I'm thinking about writing Aaron a note telling him to call me this summer. I might not thought. I think I like him. But he danced with Kristin too. What if he likes her? 

Ok. Aaron. That Aaron?
Five years later, he'd write me a letter that includes this:

I hope you didn't get in trouble last night for being on the phone so long. It was my fault. I just can't seem to let you go. Can't wait to see those big beautiful eyes. I love you.
GAH. How CUTE is that??

Of course, we eventually broke up. But looking back through these letters reminds me of how completely crazy about each other we were, until we weren't. I love High School Love. It is so EVERYTHING when you're in it, right? It's not the same when you grow up. I mean it's still love, it's still romantic and sexy and emotional. But there's nothing like that first love, when you truly think there is NOTHING in the world that will ever be as important as this boy, this dance, this kiss.

*sigh*



20 comments:

  1. My wife saved all her journals. She keeps going back and forth between wanting to be vulnerable to let me read them and ten not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never, NEVER, let Brian read my journals!

      Delete
  2. I love this post. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* OH, high school love. My first boyfriend dumped me because I was too shy to French kiss him at school. Bahaha. What a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My very first boyfriend- I dumped him bc I was terrified of kissing. So I dumped him so I wouldn't have to.

      I was almost 15.

      I was basically a disaster.

      Delete
  4. Love this. Makes me want to dig through all my old stuff and find my notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun! And so ridiculous. It's funny to see what kinds of things were MAJOR.

      Delete
  5. Love this, too. I kept journals from when I was 8-16 but it mostly involved me writing one entry and then stopping and then buying a new journal and writing 2 entries or 5 or whatever and then stopping and then....yeah you get the picture. I was a bad journal writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I got to a point where I only wrote in my journals when I was sad- so they become the most depressing things EVER.

      Delete
  6. I love everything about high school. You know, in a retrospective kind of way. You felt everything so keenly, it was like a new adventure every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, everything was a big deal. I love that. At the time, you can't even imagine life will ever be any different, you know?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. :) I've been reading more of that 7th grade diary and WHOA. Ridiculous.

      Delete
  8. I just found a big box of letters recently. Turns out I was more of a heartbreaker than I'd remembered. Cold girl. But I saved the boys' weepy letters. Some are downright literary. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha Priceless! You were such a baller.

      Delete
  9. I still have all that stuff, too. It's all soo sweet but I'm embarrassed about how quickly I fell "in love." Just one smile or a call or a walk to class and ooh the butterflies and the search for the hidden meaning in all of it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, me too. It's so funny to read. One day I'm like- "OH I LOVE THIS BOY." And then some other boy says hi to me and suddenly the next day- "THAT BOY IS MY TRUE LOVE ALWAYS AND FOREVER."

      I have to keep all this in mind when my girls get older.

      Delete