December 1, 2013

Author Photos!



I got really insanely lucky because one of my best friends, Bret (this Bret), married a super sweet, wonderful, funny, charming, and crazy talented photographer, Cilla, of Priscilla Baierlein Photography. Cilla started taking photos professionally nearly a year after Lauren was born, just as a little side job because it's something she loves. When she asked if I'd mind to let her take pictures of Lauren to help build her portfolio, I was like, "Sure!" because obviously who doesn't want a million pictures of their kids? But I wasn't expecting what I got. Her photos were incredible. Until I saw what Cilla could do with a camera, I never really understood photography as an art form. All the professional photos I'd ever had done were in a studio or a carefully staged session (like my wedding).

Basically, Cilla showed up with her camera and just followed us around. She directed a little bit, like telling us to go to the front yard or near a window or wherever the light was best, but for the most part, she just started shooting without saying things like, "Tilt your head," "Look this way," etc. (She does family photos for us every year now, and every time, I'm always like, "I have no idea how she got any pictures at all because we were in constant motion.) But every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME, she manages to capture moments so beautifully that it blows my mind. She is MAGIC.

It didn't take long for other people to take notice of her talent, and she was able to start taking photos full-time. I remember thinking how awesome it was that she found this thing she loved to do and figured out a way to make a career of it all on her own.

When I found out Between would be published, I knew I'd need a nice author photo for the back of the book, and Cilla's the only person I'd trust to take such an important photo.

A couple months ago, she took some pictures of me while she was doing our yearly family photo shoot.  The pictures were great. As always, Cilla takes gorgeous photos. But as I looked over them, they didn't really feel like me. (I was wearing a button-up shirt. Like a grown up. With a collar. And my hair wasn't dyed or anything.) Cilla and I decided that both of us got caught up in the idea of what an Important Official Author Photo was supposed to be, and Cilla was nice enough to be like, "Yeah, these really aren't you. Let's redo them. Wear your favorite t-shirt and we'll go to your parents' farm."

This is her busiest time of year, guys. It was INSANELY nice of her to offer to redo the photo shoot instead of saying just use one of the SEVERAL PERFECTLY FINE PHOTOS I ALREADY TOOK OF YOU.

So we did another round a week ago. And they are ME. I'm so happy with them. Here are a few! (Also, to anyone in Central Kentucky area, in case it's not clear, I cannot recommend her enough.)


That very last one is the one I chose to be The Photo. :) Thanks for putting up with a post filled with my face. Love you guys.

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I agree, the last one is the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! These are lovely, as are you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh you're so pretty. I love the one chose. And the fence ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures! Very fun. (And I like the one you chose best.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so gorgeous! I LOVE the one you chose, it's so perfect!

    ReplyDelete