December 6, 2013

Friday Flails- Six Dollar T-shirt, Say Something, Calendar Journaling, and #PitchWars!



Hello darlings!

I'm starting a new feature on this here blog called Friday Flails. It's basically just an excuse to tell you about the things I'm excited about at the moment. The things on the list aren't always going to be writing-related. (Actually they will probably most often not be writing-related.)

Now ON TO THE FLAILING.

First off, do you know this guy? Olan Rogers. Look him up on YouTube and
watch every single one of his videos. You're welcome.


Typewriter Love Letter T-Shirt
We know I love t-shirts. A cute shirt that incorporates writing? It's a must-have. This was on sixdollarshirts.com, and it was one of their daily tees, so it's not available anymore...otherwise I'd totally send you the link.


Say Something - A Great Big World
I'm mildly obsessed with this song. I find myself singing it all the time lately. It's so heartbreaking. But it's one of those things that happens in relationships all the time, right? No one wants to be the bad guy, even if you know the relationship is ending. So one person has to stand up and end it, knowing its better for both parties but also hating it at the same time.


Calendar Journaling
I'm afraid to post any pictures of calendar journals on here since they're not mine, but if you do a quick search on Pinterest or google images, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I used to keep a journal, and while I didn't necessarily write in it every single night, I would usually complete a few entries in it each week. I haven't written a word since early 2012. I think after all the writing I do now, I just don't have the energy to write anything else. A calendar journal just involves a monthly calendar, (like a standard calendar with all the days on one page), and you write in 1-2 things a day that happened. There are some really beautiful ones on Pinterest because people will use different colors and add their own artwork. I'm thinking this would be less daunting to keep up with, and I'd love the record of the year. I may start one in January. Do any of you do this?

#PitchWars
Oh. My God. When Brenda Drake asked me to be a mentor in the #PitchWars contest, I was so excited. I knew it would be fun, and I loved the chance to get to help someone get his/her manuscript ready for agents. YOU GUYS. I got 63 submissions and there are SO MANY GREAT ONES. It's so hard to choose!! I've narrowed it down to six, and I'm pretty sure I know which one I'm going to mentor, but I have no idea who my alternates will be. There's a lot of chatting among the mentors behind the scenes--and I want you guys to know that we're all pitching books to each other, trying to get someone else to pick up the ones we love. We're fighting for your books, and several of us are dying that we can only choose one. If you don't get picked, keep in mind that there are more great books than there are mentors, and the competition is REALLY tough. Ultimately, it all comes down to each mentor's personal taste, and the manuscripts we each feel most qualified to mentor. I'm so impressed with the quality of work out there, you guys. You blow my mind.

What are some of the things you guys are excited about this week?





6 comments:

  1. HI I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL MY LIFE FOR A BLOG LIKE THIS TO SAY WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT AND OF COURSE YOU DID IT. SO THESE THINGS: 1. Christmas tree lighting downtown and hot chocolate and actual carolers to make me feel uncomfortable. 2. Posting an excerpt of the sequel to my first book Running Home today. Eeeeeeek. 3. I put a pot roast in the slow cooker and nobody died and I really liked holding the big bloody thing to a disturbing degree.

    Love,
    Julie Hutchings
    Creep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything about your super creepy response, Jules.

      Delete
  2. OMG. I am so obsessed with Say Something, too!!! SO AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get enough of it. I'm listening RIGHT NOW.

      Delete
  3. Why did you link to that website WHY. *buys all the shirts*

    Also, I'm in LOVE with that song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never heard this before my mom is passing away any day and this song made me think of her as i was crying very pretty denise smith

    ReplyDelete