February 13, 2014

Thankful Thursday: Words

Thankful Thursday is a weekly feature where I take some time to focus on what I'm grateful for this week. Anyone who wants is invited to join in by writing his/her own Thankful Thursday post and linking up here. Feel free to grab a button from the sidebar, if you like, and follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to add your link to the list!  

This week, I'm thankful for words. That probably sounds a little silly, since obviously I'm a writer and words are my livelihood, but it's more than that.

I am, of course, thankful for every single word I manage to write these days. Between the ridiculous amount of snow days we've had plus things going on in my every day life, the words are not flowing so easily. It's extremely frustrating because I know exactly what I want to write. I have my plan. I see it in my head. But whenever I FINALLY get the opportunity to write, the words are SUPER STUBBORN. I've been going to one of my favorite local coffee shops lately to try and get more work done, but that only happens when both kids are in school, and Mother Nature is killing me on that front.

Beyond that, I'm thankful for all kinds of conversations I've had in the last week. Big ones, small ones, happy ones, difficult ones--every single word. There've been things that have been really hard for me to say, but I'm relieved that I've said them. There've been lovely things said to me by other people (I mean, really, all the love I got when Between went up for preorder still makes my heart happy). Lauren is constantly saying things that blow my mind--both because she's so freaking smart and also because I can't believe what a big kid she's becoming--and until Ella's speech therapist robs her of all her cute little Ella-isms, every single word my four-year-old says is a delight.

Lastly, I find a weird sort of therapy in reading words that other people have said or written. You know all those random quotes you find on pinterest? You can literally find words about any topic or mood you want, and whenever I'm feeling lots of feels, I find myself browsing through the quotes, looking for words to fit what's happening in my head. It's nice to see that somebody had these feelings before I did and put them into words better than I could--it helps me realize that whatever I'm going through, somebody else has already been there and gotten through it. 

Nothing connects me to my feelings more than words. Even my love for music boils down to the lyrics more than the melodies. I'm so glad I've found a way to make a career out of something I love so much.


So, what are you thankful for today? 

Even if you're not participating, be sure to come back and check out the list of blog posts below as people add more! 

Have a great week!



To participate in my blog party, just write your blog post and then follow the instructions below!

1. Link to your specific blog post, not your blog’s main page.
2. Include a link back to me in your post so your readers can learn more about Thankful Thursday and add their own posts if they like.
3. Check out the other posts in the list so we can all have an extra dose of gratitude and positivity!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for being in remission from ovarian cancer.
    Oh - and also for the kids being happy outside with the snow. There's nothing that makes me smile quite as much on a snow day as having a quiet house. : )

    ReplyDelete